Official Event Hydration in Quebec on Boston-Montreal-Boston 2006
A few route segments deserve special attention:
- Walden to Saratoga (Day 1) - 67 miles - Exposed, with a number of rollers. (It's only 49 miles to Riverside, but their store closes at 7pm).
- Walden to Steamboat Springs (Day 2) - 57 miles - Including the climb to Muddy Pass and over Rabbit Ears Pass.
- Granby to Walden (Day 3) - 55 miles - Including the climb over Willow Creek Pass.
All of these segments are the final ones on their respective stages. So:
- At the start of those segments, make sure you're well-hydrated, not depleted - more of a challenge later in the day.
- Consider extra liquid-carrying capacity, and not count on staff presence somewhere along the way. (In my case, that would mean two large water bottles plus a hydration pack, rather than the one large and one small bottle I normally carry.)
If your prep and equipment cover these cases, you should be set (hydration-wise) for the route as a whole!